Ragi is rich in calcium and iron and also rich in fibre. That’s the reason I think in South India we make ragi porridge for the babies once they start weaning. It is called Finger Millet in English.
Because it is rich in calcium, it prevents osteoporosis, brittle bones. The health benefits does not stop here.
It helps in weight loss as it is low in unsaturated fats and a special amino acids which curbs the appetite.
It controls diabetes as it contains high dietary fibers and polyphenols. It has low glycemic index that makes it an ideal snack for late night cravings. Apart from that it reduces cholesterol by reducing plague formation and blockage of blood vessels. It works as a natural relaxant and relieves stress, hypertension, depression, headache and also Insomina. Regular consumption of ragi helps to treat Anaemia, in digestion, increases lactation, reverts aging.
With all this health benefits…… lets also have delicious ragi recipe – Idli
Ragi Flour – 2 cups
Urad Daal – 1/2 cup
Idli Rice – 1 cup
Methi seeds – 2 tsp
- Wash and soak the rice for 3-4 hours
- Same way soak the daal and Methi seeds also after washing.
- Grind it into smooth paste and add salt .
- Let it ferment overnight.
- Pour the batter in Idli mould and steam for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve it with chutney or saaru.