Tuvar Daal – 1/2 cup or 75 gms
Dry red Chillies – 4 no.s
Sambhar Powder – 1 tsp
Tamarind – small lemon size
Methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds) – 1/2 teaspoon
Rai seeds (Mustard Seeds ) – 1/2 Teaspoon
Hing (Asafoetida) – A pinch
Haldi (Turmeric) – 1/4 teaspoon
Vegetables for sambhar : You can use any of the following vegetables for sambhar
Drum Stick, Brinjal, Lady’s Finger, Carrot, Beans, Broad Beans, Potato, Onions, Pumpkin (white as well as orange), small onions.
- To make sambhar , firstly pressure cook the daal.
- Soak tamarind in water for half an hour. (In case you are in a hurry, you can soak the tamarind and boil it.) This softens the tamarind.
- Mash it well with hands and strain it.
- In a cooking pan, add 1 tsp oil and then add the vegetables. Fry till translucent.
- Now add the tamarind water.
- In the above add salt, hing, turmeric powder and sambhar powder.
- Let it boil till the vegetables are cooked and the raw odour of tamarind is gone.
- Add cooked tuvar daal or arhar daal and mix well.
- Add water to bring it to the required consistency and bring it to boil. Switch off the gas.
- In a pan , pour oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds. Once the mustard starts spluttering add methi seeds and dry chillies.
- Switch off the gas, add curry leaves.
- Now you pour this seasoning in to the sambhar.
- Garnish it with chopped corainder leaves.
You can serve the sambhar with hot rice , idli, dosa, Medhu Vada.