- Idli Rava – 1 cup
- Scraped Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Water – 2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Sunflower oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal/Kadala Paruppu – 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal/Ulutham Paruppu – ½ tbsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Green Chillies – as per ones taste
- Curry Leaves – few
- Heat the pan with oil, add mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard crackles, add the channa dal, and urad dal and fry till the dals are golden in colour.
- Add the asafoetida, green chillies and curry leaves .
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Add the coconut gratings and salt to taste and let it boil.
- Slowly add rice rava and stirring simultaneously so that no lumps are formed.
- Keep stirring until the whole thing comes together and looks like a dough.
- Let it cool.
- Wet your hands take a lemon sized ball of the upma and shape them into round balls.
- Steam these balls in a steamer or as you steam the idli for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney/Sambar.
I Love these with tomato rasam too.