Vella cheedai is the one of the neivediyam (Prasad) for Krishna Jayanti. There are many horrifying stories of seedai bursting while frying. And now a days you get a pack for Gokulashtami prasad. I have tried many times and failed. As they say ‘ Try try…….. till you succeed’. So, finally I succeeded. Here’s the recipe for Vella Seedai.
Rice powder – 1 cup
Urad dal Powder – 2 table spoon
Coconut – 1 small piece. ( 2 table spoons of grated coconut)
Gur / Vellam – 3/4 cup
Til – 1/2 table spoon
Oil for frying
- Firstly , you fry the rice powder lightly. Keep it separate.
- Then, in the same pan roast the til.
- Cut the coconut into small pieces. ( I normally use grated coconut)
- Take jaggery in a pan and add water till it gets soaked and now let the jaggery melt properly.
- Now add the rice flour , til and coconut and mix well to make dough.
- Make small rounds with all the dough.
- Deep fry the seedai till it is golden brown or till the seedai’s are cooked properly.